Ads 468x60px

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A sad end to English in Science and Math.

July 8th 2009 marks another historical event in Malaysia, where the government will abandon its six-year English policy and reverts into teaching both subjects in Bahasa Malaysia (BM) as of 2012. The long awaited decision was somehow a disappointment, and I feel sorry for all the students and teachers who are being 'played' by those with personal interest in the politics.

As the saying goes, 'Rome was not built in one day'. How could one base performance results in the past six years? It is like giving birth to a child and expect it to learn and know everything there is to know when it is at age six! We all know that is impossible to expect anything to come out of even in the first 10 years of any policy there is. Even when we want to simulate anything, i.e rainfall, floods, droughts, we need all the data collected for at least the past 20 years. But data from 50 to 100 years back would result a better simulation. Like wine, everything gets better with age, people just need to understand that.

Since I was a small kid, I could still remember my class teacher would tell us over and over that if you do a lot of exercises, eventually, you'll get better in that subject. The same advice is still given by the lecturers where I am currently studying now. The keyword is perseverance. So, the question now is, without even trying and without even getting to the roots of the problems, a six-year policy is considered a failure??! Where, what and how did they came up with that?? What if all Malaysians have that attitude? "Oh, I gave it 6 years, but nothing happened..so I guess I failed". Interesting situation huh, instead of getting to the roots of the problem and try to fix it in every possible way, we are now reverted back to the past.

Being one of those batches of students whom did not get the chance to study Science and Math subjects in English, it was quite a struggle for me when I furthered my studies in college and university since what I learned in primary and high school were not the same. And since all the assignments were to be submitted in English, I had to translate everything I studied in BM to English. But being one of those lucky ones who know basic English, I did pretty well in understanding the subjects. But for those whom are not familiar with the language had trouble in understanding and conveying their thoughts during oral presentation.

For me, one does not have to have a Masters in English to pass in Science and Math, basic English is enough for their level. They are not expected to write an essay on the mechanism of a rocket which enables it to lift off from the ground and land on the moon or on how our body works - in details! But at least with Science and Math conducted in English, even those who are in the rural areas have the chance to look for better jobs with better pay. It is of known fact that nowadays, employers are more keen to employ those who can at least speak basic English during an interview. But sad to say, with English out of the picture, I wonder how those in the rural areas can cope in our ever advancing world, especially in the Science and Technology field.

I read a really interesting Chinese proverb yesterday that goes : Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still. I find this proverb inspiring, cos no matter how slow we are going forward, it is way better than to stand still with no improvements. But what's worst is to go backwards without fighting to go forward.

0 comments: